Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Confessions of a Skinny Girl who Thinks She's Fat

This is more of a rant. Arm Fat inspired me to discuss something that has been on my mind lately. I’m convinced the world/corporate America wants people to be fat. I feel like every SINGLE place I go I’m encouraged to eat something ridiculous. Example: Yesterday I was at a Starbucks getting an iced Americano (disgusting, but 15 calories and an appetite suppressant. Can’t go wrong). After I ordered my drink, I had the following conversation with the “barista”:

Barista: Would you like a breakfast sandwich?

LH: No

B: Muffin?

LH: No

Guy Behind the Counter Not Taking my Order: Low-fat Muffin?

LH: NO!

I understand that I’m not fat…but COME ON. I definitely don’t look like I haven’t eaten in a week. While ridiculously overblown, the movie SuperSize Me brings up good points. HOW is that even an option? No one in the world needs that many fries. We have an obesity epidemic, heart disease is killing off people like crazy, Europeans make fun of us…these are all problems. Big big big problems. And now there’s this:

This shake is 1500 calories. Honestly. HONESTLY. No one in their right mind needs that. No one should even want that because it is absurd. I don’t care if you eat celery for the remainder of the day. But give me a break. How does this even exist? The Food and Drug Administration is clearly too busy approving insane weight loss pills that give people weird side effects. If I see anyone drinking this there’s a chance I’m going to lecture them at length and that I’m going to be ‘that girl’ that says: “Did you know that that has 1500 calories?” I know that would make me immediately want to vomit, so really I’d be doing a public service.

~Love Handles

No comments:

Post a Comment